2014 is the first year since high school that I’m really starting the year as a runner. So it seemed fitting to set some running-related goals for the year.
1. Run 500 miles: This shouldn’t be too hard, given that I logged nearly 300 from April-December 2013.
2. Run a sub-2:00 half: This is my ultimate goal time. If I can get there, then I’d be comfortable starting the training for a full marathon. It’s only 12 minutes faster than my current PR, so I think it’s doable.
3. STICK TO MY TRAINING PLAN FOR EVERY RACE! This is going to be the hardest one for me, I think. I have a really hard time getting out to run on weekdays after work, I just don’t like to take the time away from my kids while they’re awake and I really don’t like to run alone in the dark. But this is key for achieving goal #2 and goal #4, so I have to do it.
4. Run a sub-1:00 10K. This shouldn’t be too hard. At the 10K mark of the NYE half, I was right at 1 hour, and I was pacing myself for a half. When I race a 10K, I should be able to get under that 1 hour mark fairly easily. (I like having one goal that seems “easy” so I can see some success early in the year 🙂 )
5. Cross-train and/or core work at least 2x per week. Again, this is going to be tough for me, but I think it’s also critical for the sub-2 half. I need to build strength to protect from injuries and to improve speed.
What are your goals for 2o14?